Breakfast and brunch are my favourite meals of any day. But, I don’t have a sweet tooth and am not a huge fan of sugary options. In most cases, that includes French Toast but my mom’s recipe is savoury rather than sweet, making it one of my favourite morning (or anytime) treats!
Of course, this also tastes great with some maple syrup poured over top so if you DO have a sweet tooth, you might really enjoy the sweet/salty flavour of this recipe as well!
Savoury French Toast
- 4 Extra Large Eggs
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1/3 cup Finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 8 slices Toast Bread White or Whole Wheat. You really can use any type of thin sliced bread!
- 4 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Slice toast bread in half or leave whole depending on how big you want the portions.
- Beat together the eggs in a bowl large enough to dip the bread.
- Add milk, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Add oil to a fry pan and heat at medium-high.
- Dip bread into egg mixture until coated. Toast bread usually only needs a quick dip but if you're using a denser type of bread, you may want to let it soak for about 5 seconds before turning over.
- Add to hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes per side until the bread is a nice, golden brown.
- Plate and serve!Note: Leftovers are great and easy to reheat in a toaster so I often make extra slices so we have plenty for the uncoming week.
Enjoy your meal! I’d love to hear how it turned out so if you share a photo on Instagram and tag me, I’ll be sure to repost it!