It’s hard not to love a good, golden-crusted, buttery scone. But it sure is hard to find a decent base scone recipe that works every time! My sister passed along this recipe to me and it always comes out perfect. Best part? It’s extremely versatile.
This is a very basic and simple recipe. For today, I’m adding blueberries because they’re in season and I had plenty on hand. But, with a little imagination and your own taste buds, you can add just about anything including:
- Any type of baking fruit or berry
- Bacon or Ham
- Any combination of the above!
One of the things I love most about this recipe is that you can control how much sugar you want to add. For a sweet scone, add the full amount. For a savoury scone or if you just want to reduce your sugar intake, add less.
Here’s how you can quickly enjoy your very own scone creation.
Simple Base Scone Recipe
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 Cups Sugar Add sugar to taste... more for a dessert scone, less for a savoury scone
- 3 Tsps Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Cold Butter, Cubed
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Your Choice! Today, I'm using blueberries.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir together the ingredients with a fork or whisk to help aerate the flour and create a fluffier scone. I like to aerate after I've already measured out the ingredients.
- Cube cold butter.
- Cut in the butter using a hand-held pastry blender or your hands. I like using my hands to get the feel of it.
- Ensure the flour mixture is grainy once it's all mixed. It's okay to have pea-sized bits visible.
- Beat egg in a small cup or bowl.
- Add beaten egg and milk to the dry ingredients.
- Stir with a fork to make a soft dough. Do not over-mix.
- Add your fruit or any other flavour you'd like.
- Gently stir.
- Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scope, place on a greased baking sheet or use parchment paper.
- Ensure your drops are about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in a preheated 425° oven for 15 minutes.
What’s your favourite scone combination? Let us know in the comments below!! Or, for another brunch or breakfast idea, check out our Easy Savoury French Toast Recipe.